Jesolo, bell tower of San Mauro brought to light
Archaelogists of the Department of Humanities of Ca’ Foscari University have brought to light the bell tower of San Mauro monastery, near Jesolo.
The recovery of San Mauro started in 1954, when an assistant to the archaeological sector of the Superintendence of Padua, Longo, identified the ruins of the monastery, characterized by a high bell tower, which were drawn in maps from the sixteenth century.
Despite the importance for the territory in the Middle Ages, the site was abandoned and covered with rubble and vegetation until all archaeological traces disappeared.
The researchers managed to unearth what seemed to be lost by investigating the entire area of San Mauro to understand the settlement dynamics and bringing to light the remains of the religious complex to evaluate their conservation state.
The excavations, conducted in collaboration with the Municipality of Jesolo and the Superintendence of Archaeology, Fine Arts and Landscape for the City of Venice and Lagoon, unearthed the lateral apse of the church, thus confirming the findings of the 1954 excavations and gathering new unpublished data from deposits inside and outside the building never previously excavated.
Fifteen children’s and adults’ graves were found in a burial ground that has only been partially explored yet a well as the foundations of the bell tower made of a large wooden basement and large square stones.
The city of Jesolo announced plans to restore and promote the archaeological remains for cultural and touristic purposes.