The Technologies for Smart Communities Cluster promotes the development of advanced technological solutions to implement innovative models for solving social challenges on an urban and metropolitan scale in different sectors of interest, such as mobility, health, education, culture and tourism, energy networks, energy efficiency.
The Smart Community can be defined as a place, or a geographical area, in which, thanks to the support and application of pervasive technologies and the development of advanced application solutions, it is possible to implement innovative, inclusive, participative, democratic and customizable processes and services, in response to modern societal and technological challenges, in accordance with the requirements of environmental, social and economic sustainability and recognizing the centrality of individual and community needs.
The Technologies for Smart Communities Cluster intends to promote, through the Smart Community, the development of low investment solutions for a new idea of citizenship, in which enabling technologies are used to make information and knowledge available (educating city) and to involve single individuals in the production of information and contents in support of processes and services (participatory city).
For the local authorities, the presence of a distributed technology infrastructure and the consequent availability of more accurate and timely information about events, situations and opinions, will create the conditions for a reorganization and redefinition in terms of innovative services offered to citizens.
Lines of development
- Education: renewal of the education and training system through the implementation of new individual and group learning/teaching models and new evaluation systems.
- Energy: improvement of energy and environmental performances in urban areas through the rational use of natural resources and the reduction of consumption of energy carriers.
- Sustainable mobility: reduction of the environmental impact of transport, improvement of energy efficiency and enhancement of safety in public and private urban mobility of goods and passengers.
- Tourism: innovation and enhancement of services related to cultural heritage and tourism.
Coordination and management body
- Trento RISE Association
- ASTER S.Cons.P.A.
- DHITECH SCARL - Hight Tech Technology District
- Monza and Brianza Green and High Tech District Foundation
- Foundation for Research and Innovation – Tuscan District for Cultural Heritage and a Sustainable City (DiT-BeCS)
- Torino Wireless Foundation
- Lepida S.p.A.
- SIIT S.c.p.A. – Liguria Technology District of Integrated Intelligent Systems and Technologies
- Società Finanziaria Laziale di Sviluppo S.p.A. (FI.LA.S.)
- VEGA – Science and Technology Park of Venice c.a.r.l.
Organizational model: the Cluster is organized as a cooperative network, with a central coordinating node.
Regions involved institutionally
- Emilia Romagna
- Trentino Aldo Adige