CL.A.N. is the evolution of an important path shared by the main national actors in the entire agrifood chain, in scientific and industrial research, production activities and local institutions of suitable areas, started in the early 2000s. It can count on the experience gained from major multi-stakeholder initiatives, such as the European technology platform Food for Life and the national technology platform Italian Food for Life.
The Cluster, a partnership of leading companies and research institutes of excellence in the national agrifood sector, can play an important role in supporting a key sector for the Italian economy at European level. It can also provide an important contribution to the development of the theme of Expo Milano 2015, Feeding the Planet, Energy for Life, in terms of nutrition, food security, food safety, sustainability, quality and, in particular, product and process innovation while respecting tradition.
CL.A.N. aims to safeguard and increase the competitiveness of the national economic system with regard to the entire food-production chain, from agricultural production to processing and the related industrial sectors (e.g. packaging, logistics etc.), up to distribution and consumption, by encouraging innovation, access and optimization of the results of scientific and technological research, and the collaboration between research organizations, companies, institutions and public administration.
Lines of development
- Nutrition and Health: prevention of diet-related diseases (obesity, diabetes and cardiovascular disease) and promotion of healthy ageing (cognitive and physical well-being).
- Food Safety: production of natural antimicrobials, reduction of possible chemical and biological contaminants and unwanted substances, development of diagnostic systems for the abatement of pollutants along the supply chain up to the consumer.
- Sustainability: reduction of waste and valorization of sub-products, their use for other food and non-food applications, reduction of the impact of the agrifood industry processes, from production to the end user, reduction and optimization of land use.
Coordination and management body
- 3A - Umbria Agri-Food Technology Park Soc. cons. a r.l. - Regione Umbria
- National Agency for New Technologies, Energy and Sustainable Economic Development (ENEA)
- Agency for the Promotion Abroad and the Internationalisation of the Italian Companies (ICE)
- Regional Agency Sardegna Ricerche – Regione Sardegna
- Analysis s.r.l.
- Aster S. Cons. P. A. (Coordinator)
- Barilla G. e R. Fratelli S.p.A.
- Confindustria Umbria
- National Research Council (CNR)
- Council for Research and Experimentation in Agriculture (CRA)
- Research Consortium for Technological Innovation, Quality and Food Safety Abruzzo, S. C. R. L. – ITQSA – Regione Abruzzo
- Re Regional Agrifood District Apulia, S.C.R.L. - Regione Puglia
- Agro-Bio and Eco-friendly Fishing Technology District Sicily, Consortium for Technological Innovation, Sicily Agro-Bio and Eco-friendly Fishing S.C. A R. L. – Agrobiopesca – Regione Sicilia
- Federalimentare Servizi s.r.l. (Coordinator)
- Fondazione Parco Tecnologico Padano
- Granarolo S.p.A
- Inalca Industria Alimentare S.p.A.
- National Health Institute
- MOLISEINNOVAZIONE AGRO-ALIMENTARE S.C.A.R.L. – M.I.N.A. S.C.A.R.L.
- Molitoria Umbra S.p.A.
- TICASS Research and Innovation Hub – Innovative Technologies for Environmental Control and Sustainable Development – Regione Liguria
- Regione Toscana
- Soremartec Italia S.r.l.
- Tecnoalimenti S.c.p.A.
- Tecnogranda S.p.A.
- Alma Mater Studiorum University of Bologna
- Sapienza University of Rome
Organizational model: unrecognized Association
Regions involved institutionally
- Emilia Romagna