Earth, sustainability, research
The National Institute of Oceanography and Experimental Geophysics (OGS), based in the city of Trieste, is a public research institution supervised by the Italian Ministry of Education, University and Research, which applies its own expertise in earth sciences and its resources. This institution operates and develops its own mission in the European Research Area (ERA) and internationally, prioritizing the basic and applied research fields of:
- oceanography (under the physical, chemical and biological aspects);
- geophysics and marine geology;
- experimental and explorative geophysics.
Integrated method for a multibeam bathymetric survey and for the study of the sub-seafloor geological setting with high and low resolution multichannel seismic data collected with R/V OGS ExploraOGS applies its own expertise in earth sciences and in marine and polar regions to contribute not only to the spreading and widening of the knowledge, but also to the practical solution of environmental, economical and social issues in line with the National Program of Italian Research (PNR) and strategic objectives set by the European Union, with particular referral to Horizon 2020.
Counting on its own oceanographic research vessel, i.e. the OGS Explora, and other strategic infrastructures of excellence, OGS works for the safeguarding and enhancement of the environmental and natural resources in order to evaluate and prevent geological, environmental and climatic risks, with the aim of spreading scientific culture and knowledge.
All these efforts are made in collaboration with analogous European and international institutions, with private high-tech industries and qualified enterprises. The main purpose is to promote the transfer of research outcomes from the scientific to the productive world, contributing to the technological and socio-economical development of the country.
OGS research activities are focused on the following five main topics:
- Environment and climate: as far as climatic and environmental research is concerned, OGS has always worked in this field thanks to its operative capacities, the development of technologies, the monitoring management, the numerical modelling and the interpretation of data at regional and global level, with a research priority over the Mediterranean and polar areas.
- Biodiversity and functional character of the ecosystems: within the assessments of the characteristics of the ecosystems, OGS combines the knowledge of oceanography dynamics with the detection of the key processes that determine their functionality. Primary objective at coastal level and for transition areas is the correct evaluation of the ecological risk and the determination of the methods and tools able to integrate all the environmental elements in ecosystem health indicators in order to support a functional approach to the Integrated Costal Zone Management (ICZM).
- Sketch of remote sensing data collectionNatural risks: in this framework the activities have an impact on society as pointed out by Horizon 2020, facing the major concerns shared by citizens, leading to an increase in individual wellbeing and security of the society. A specific line of research and services to pursue foresees the interface with the engineering community, in the fields of seismic hazard, local seismic response and joint soil-structure monitoring.
- Natural resources: the activities of OGS within this context are focused on the hydrologic cycle and water and fishing resources, the sustainable management of fishing and aquaculture, on deep-sea mineral resources and raw materials.
- Energy resources: finally, OGS is committed since many years in the research and technological development within the energy field, adapting to the continuous evolution of the field and guaranteeing a cutting-edge research, technological transfer and service to industries for identification and optimization of the exploitation of energy resources.
The institute has been involved in many European projects and has launched various actions at national and international level by using the high expertise in the field of geophysical exploration (developed throughout years of applied research carried out for industries working in the energy field such as ENI, ENEL and ENEA) and of the many and strengthened relationships with prominent European institutes within the geo-energy field.
AEROMOBILE - Bimotore SENECA II turbocompresso
CRS - Centro Ricerche sismologiche
NAVE - N/R OGS Explora
NODC - National Oceanographic Data Centre
GEO - Sezione Ricerca scientifica Geofisica
OCE - Sezione ricerca scientifica Oceanografia
IRI - Sezione Ricerca tecnologica e infrastrutture
PITOP - Sito Test per studi geofisica in pozzo